From August 2014 to November 2018 the School will commemorate the centenary of the Great War.
It had been known for some time that several casualties were omitted from the First World War memorial plaque in the undercroft. Fourteen names have now been added – 12 OKS and two masters. The names added are as follows (the date is the year they left King’s): 1861 RSF WALKER, 1887 PC JOHNSON, 1889 BS WILLS, 1894 TWH JONES, 1902 FH LANGHORNE, 1903 MWW MATHER, 1904 HI FERGUSON, DDDK MOIR, 1906 CR TISDALL, 1907 C BATTISCOMBE, 1909 T CARLYLE, 1912 EHJ TEASDALE and two masters: HM BROWN and RE EVERITT. More names need to be added: 1884 WA [SPOONER] FORTESCUE, 1899 WF BURGESS, 1907 JT WRIGHT and a master: ELR HORLEY.
The Remembrance Day service has been appropriately modified: in 2015 Gallipoli was remembered, in 2016 Jutland and the Somme, in 2017 Passchendaele. In September 2014 a group of fifth formers joined pupils from a school in Germany for a day in the Ypres Salient. The annual school trip to Ypres was on 9 October 2014 and representatives of the King’s School laid a wreath at the Menin Gate Ceremony. There will be several exhibitions, starting with ‘The King’s School in 1914′ in King’s Week 2014 and in the Chapter House. Links with Canterbury Cathedral have included displays at the Cathedral Open Evening in October 2014.