The King’s School War Memorial was created after the First World War. It was designed by Herbert Baker and unveiled on 19 December 1921 by Major General Sir Evan Carter OKS (see picture). The Memorial Court was excavated at the same time. A tablet with the names of those killed was later placed in the undercroft and dedicated by the Archbishop of Canterbury. This had the names of 146 boys, in order of their leaving school. A further 14 names (including two masters) were added in 2014.
The Second World War memorial tablet was unveiled by Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery OKS and dedicated by the Archbishop of Canterbury on 25 July 1949. It contained the names of 112 boys and one member of staff. At the same time the Memorial Court, which had been damaged by the 1942 bombing, was renovated. It is hoped to add a further 15 names (including a groundsman).
Details of all those named on the memorials can be viewed at King’s School Roll of Honour. The research into these former pupils was initiated by Edward Holman OKS and completed by King’s School parent John Hamblin.
Photographs of most of the individual First World War OKS graves can be viewed at Find a Grave.