Lardergate is on the Cathedral side of the Green Court. The gateway, as seen in the accompanying illustration, led to a staircase into the Cathedral. It was rebuilt after serious bomb damage during the Second World War. (The arms of Australia and of the King’s School, Parramatta, unveiled in 1951, commemorate the many links between Canterbury and Australia.)
Originally opened as an arts centre by the Duchess of Kent in 1951, it was a boarding house from 1951 to 1952 and again from 1957 to 1964. It was then used for staff accommodation as well as classrooms.
On the left is the Admissions Office and through the archway and to the right are offices. Upstairs the classrooms are now used by the History Department.