The Shirley Hall was built on the site of the tennis courts and opened by the Queen Mother in 1957.
Originally called the Great Hall, it was re-named after Headmaster Canon John ‘Fred’ Shirley in 1962. A resolution of the Governors on 29 October confirmed that “the official name of the building should in future be The Shirley Hall”.
Assemblies, plays, concerts and public examinations have all taken place here.
Underneath the Hall is the Pupils’ Social Centre, now known as ‘Chums’.